OperaVPN just announced that the Android and iOS apps are shutting down on April 30th.
While the free browser with the built-in VPN is still working, mobile devices will no longer support the beloved app.
If you paid for OperaVPN, you can claim a year’s subscription to SurfEasy. This is because Opera bought SurfEasy back in 2015.
But if you only used OperaVPN’s free service, where do you go from here?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
There are plenty of other free VPNs you can use on your Android or iOS phone, and we list the best ones below.
The Best Free Alternatives to OperaVPN
Like OperaVPN, TunnelBear offers a free app as well as a paid version. It’s incredibly user-friendly and is a great VPN for beginners. However, free users are limited to 500MB per month (1GB if you tweet about the company), and the security features are lacking. (The paid version is pretty good though.)
That being said, TunnelBear is one of the most trusted free VPN services out there.
- Does not keep logs
- Works on all major devices
- Simple to use
- Cute bear theme throughout the app
While you won’t have many servers to choose from on the free version, hide.me provides a stable, secure VPN for your basic needs. It’s ideal for securing public hotspots and unblocking basic content.
- Uses OpenVPN for guaranteed security
- Decent speed for a free VPN
- 2GB data limit each month
- Servers limited to Singapore, Canada, and the Netherlands
If you’re looking for a secure VPN for your mobile device, Windscribe is a great option. The free VPN is available on almost any device, and it comes with an adblocker and firewall, too. With 10GB of data per month and access to Netflix, it’s no wonder why Windscribe is in our top five.
- 10GB of monthly data
- 11 servers available with great speeds
- Access to Netflix
- Perfect free VPN for bypassing censorship in China
This Netherlands-based VPN does not have a free version, but it does come with a 30-day free trial. Excellent customer support is what makes this VPN stand out, not to mention the wide range of devices, 50+ servers, and consistent speeds.
- 30-day free trial (you will be charged immediately if you don’t cancel your subscription when the trial is over)
- More than 50 servers to choose from
- Great speeds
- Excellent customer service
Operated by the security experts who brought you ProtonMail, ProtonVPN is the perfect free VPN with great privacy features. The Android app launched in January and has already become quite popular. Unfortunately, there is no iOS app, but users can configure OpenVPN to work with it.
- Top-notch security
- Access to servers in the Netherlands, Japan, USA, and Switzerland
- Stylish, intuitive interface
Just because OperaVPN shut down does not mean you have to compromise on service or price. These free VPNs are exactly what you need to find a replacement.